How do you know it’s time for a bathroom renovation? Renovating bathrooms is one of the top home improvement projects taken. Whether you simply want to replace your toilet or sink, or you want to do a complete refresh of the space and style, there are many reasons people take on this project.
We spend a lot of time in our bathrooms. For such a small space, it sure does get a lot of use. Plus, because bathrooms are small, renovating them seems like a smaller task than larger spaces such as kitchens and living rooms. And, because they are a contained room, the renovation you make has a big impact.
It’s not always about design though. Often, bathroom renovations occur because repairs need to be made.
Top 5 Reasons For Bathroom Renovation
1) You Want A Lipstick Refresh – for many, a style change is in order. This type of bathroom renovation often involves a fresh coat of paint. Perhaps a change of towels and decor will also be done to compliment the new paint colour. With a lipstick refresh, consider changing your faucets to something more contemporary or unique. Whether you are simply bored with your current colours, or you are getting your house ready to sell, a change in colour is an easy bathroom renovation project.
2) Full Style Makeover on An Outdated Bathroom – Is your bathroom out-of-date? Are you tired of the countertops and cabinets? A full makeover often includes new tiles, countertops and cupboards, as well as new paint or wallpaper. The toilet, shower, bathtub, sinks and faucet are also likely to be replaced. In other words, it’s like taking your outdated 10-year old bathroom and making it look like a current showhome bathroom!
3) Bathroom Renovation to Make Repairs – Are your cabinets in disrepair? Do you have a water leak? Is your tile chipped or broken? Renovations are often done to make repairs on items that are broken. With a bathroom, if any of the issues involve leaking water, you will want to ensure you renovate right away as you do not want mould issues in your home.
4) Add Functionality & Storage – Is your bathroom not suiting the needs of you and your family? Perhaps you want a separate shower or two sinks. Or, maybe the layout is causing inefficiency in your mornings. Maybe you want heated floors or a towel heater. Are you finding your belongings end up on the counter and the floor way too much? Adding additional storage to your bathroom is a great way to keep your space looking fresh, clean and organized.
5) Increase Your Energy Efficiency – Going more green is an excellent reason to take on a bathroom renovation. There are many products on the market to help you save water, heat an energy. Consider an energy efficient toilet. There are many to choose from and they will do a great job-saving water. Speaking of saving water, you can replace your taps and shower head to a model that also works on reducing water output. Update your light fixtures to LED models. Then lastly, repair or replace your window to eliminate drafts.
When Is The Best Time to Take on a Bathroom Renovation?
Taking care of your home, making repairs as things break, and taking preventative measures will always help save you time and money. If you repair and refresh regularly, you will save yourself time and money in the long run.
So when is the best time to renovate your bathroom? Anytime! We recommend prioritizing your home repairs based on your needs and your budget. It’s important to take on repairs as soon as they become necessary to fix. If you have a water leak issue in your bathroom you will want to move that up the priority list. Any issues involving water can grow to become bigger issues really quickly.
For style changes, we recommend this type of renovation whenever you have the time and budget. Homeowners often change the look of their bathrooms every-ten-years or so. Some like to switch things up a lot sooner. If it has been ten-years before your last big update, it’s likely time to look at your flooring, cabinets, counters, fixtures, faucets, toilets and bathtub to ensure they are still structurally sound. If not, it might be time for a bigger renovation than you may have originally had in mind.